The Willson Center encourages faculty to take advantage of external funding opportunities including the external fellowships listed below. Further details are available at the links. Please verify deadlines and application details as some deadlines and program guidelines are updated or revised during the year. The Willson Center Research Fellowship guidelines (and deadline) align similarly with the National Humanities Center (NHC) Fellowship Program and the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Fellowship program. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications to the NHC and the ACLS. The NHC deadline is in October. The ACLS deadline is in late September. Faculty are also encouraged to apply for the NEH Fellowship in the spring.
The Willson Center will provide support in reviewing external proposal drafts. If you would like your proposal reviewed, please submit your draft to firstname.lastname@example.org at least four weeks in advance of the deadline.
Some agencies also offer review of proposal drafts. Check with individual agencies for further details and draft review deadlines (if offered).
External Fellowship Deadlines for 2020-2021
- ACLS: Fellowships including named awards:
- ACLS Barrington Foundation Centennial Fellowships in Classical Studies
- ACLS Carl and Betty Pforzheimer Fellowships in English and American Literature
- ACLS Centennial Fellowships in the Dynamics of Place
- ACLS Frederic E. Wakeman, Jr. Fellowships in Chinese History
- ACLS H. and T. King Fellowships in Ancient American Art and Culture
- ACLS/New York Public Library Fellowships
- ACLS Oscar Handlin Fellowships in American History
- ACLS Pauline Yu Fellowships in Chinese or Comparative Literature
- ACLS Susan McClary and Robert Walser Fellowships in Music Studies
- NHC: National Humanities Center Fellowships
- Center for the Advanced Study in the Visual Arts Senior Fellows:
- Ailsa Mellon Bruce Senior Fellowship (history, theory, and criticism of the visual arts of any geographic area and of any period)
- Paul Mellon Senior Fellowship (history, theory, and criticism of the visual arts of any geographic area and of any period)
- Samuel H Kress Senior Fellowship (European art before the early nineteenth century)
- William C. Seitz Senior Fellowship (modern and contemporary art)
- ACLS: Luce/ACLS Fellowships in Religion, Journalism and International Affairs
- ACLS: Mellon/ACLS Scholars & Society Fellowships
- NEH: NEH-Mellon Fellowships for Digital Publication
More | NEA | NEH | ACLS | NHC | a2ru