The Willson Center encourages faculty to take advantage of external funding opportunities including the external fellowships listed below. Further details are available at the links. Please verify deadlines and application details as some deadlines and program guidelines are updated or revised during the year. The Willson Center Research Fellowship guidelines (and deadline) align similarly with the National Humanities Center (NHC) Fellowship Program and the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Fellowship program. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications to the NHC and the ACLS. The NHC deadline is in October. The ACLS deadline is in late September. Faculty are also encouraged to apply for the NEH Fellowship in the spring.
A separate list of deadlines for major external grants in the humanities and arts is provided here.
We also offer a guide to funding and other resources for post-doctoral and graduate students in the humanities and arts, here.
The Willson Center will provide support in reviewing external proposal drafts. If you would like your proposal reviewed, please submit your draft to email@example.com at least four weeks in advance of the deadline. If you have questions about a specific fellowship that you would like to discuss, please contact the Willson Center.
Some agencies also offer review of proposal drafts. Check with individual agencies for further details and draft review deadlines (if offered).
External Fellowship Deadlines for 2023-2024
- Society for the Humanities Fellowships (Cornell University)
- ACLS: Fellowships
- Society of Fellows in the Humanities (Columbia University): Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Center for the Advanced Study in the Visual Arts: Senior Fellowships
- Stanford University: Mellon Fellowship of Scholars in the Humanities
- ACLS: Luce/ACLS Dissertation Fellowships in American Art
- ACLS: Mellon/ACLS Dissertation Innovation Fellowships
- American-Scandinavian Foundation: Fellowships
- American Research Institute in Turkey: ARIT Fellowships in the Humanities and Social Sciences in Turkey
- American Academy in Rome: Rome Prize Fellowship Program
- Loeb Classical Library Foundation Fellowship (Harvard University)
- Mahindra Humanities Center (Harvard University): Postdoctoral Fellowships
- ACLS: Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Dissertation Fellowships in Buddhist Studies
- ACLS: Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Early Career Research Fellowships in Buddhist Studies
- American Philological Association: Thesaurus Linguae Latinae Fellowship
- American Society for Aesthetics: Dissertation Fellowships
- Library of Congress: Asian Division Florence Tan Moeson Research Fellowships
January (Applications temporarily suspended to accommodate fellowships delayed due to Covid-19)
- Smithsonian Libraries Fellowships:
- ACLS: Leading Edge Fellowships
- NEH: Fellowships